Comprehensive Ortho Workshop -
Learn from a seasoned Sports Medicine and EM physician on diagnosing, examining and treating common upper extremity and lower extremities injuries in the family practice clinic, urgent care or ER setting. In this course, you will go through several case based exercises and learn systematic approaches to managing common orthopedic and sports injury in an acute care setting. You will review multiple case presentations and associated X-rays, learn proper physical exams, while discussing appropriate management.
- Learning to properly perform physical exams on common injuries of the wrist, hand, elbow, shoulder, knee, ankle and foot
- Review x-ray findings of common extremity injuries.
- Learn proper orthopedic management of these common extremity injuries.
- Learn proper orthopedic splinting techniques and perform 5+ splints using fiberglass including posterior mold, thumb spica, ulnar gutter, etc.
- Review the indications for common orthopedic products such as slings, crutches, immobilizers, metatarsal pads, night splints, cam walker, surgical shoe and wraps.
- Understand which orthopedic injury can be managed in the office and which require immediate orthopedic intervention.
There is pre-course work associated with this course and post course work to ensure mastery is obtained.
The Full Day Workshop is taught by Dr. Melissa Leber and is worth 10 CME credit.
|1||Registration/Breakfast||7:30am - 8:00am|
|2||Intro and pre-test review||8:00am - 8:15am|
|3||Shoulder talk and physical exam practice||8:15am - 9:00am|
|4||Elbow talk||9:00am - 9:30am|
|5||Break||9:30am - 9:45am|
|6||Hand and wrist talk followed by spliting of the hand and wrist||9:45am - 12:00pm|
|7||Lunch||12:00pm - 1:00pm|
|8||Knee talk and physical exam practice||1:00pm - 2:00pm|
|9||Foot and Ankle talk and physical exam practice||2:00pm - 3:30pm|
|10||Break||3:30pm - 3:45pm|
|11||Foot and ankle splinting||3:45pm - 5:00pm|